We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
- Cakes with fruit
- Plum cake
This is a bit of an unusual cake, but great for Christmas. The chocolate mixed with sultanas, apple sauce and spices gives a nice texture with a lot less work than plum pudding itself.
21 people made this
- 100g (3 3/4 oz) sultanas
- 100g (3 3/4 oz) flour
- 90g (3 1/2 oz) wholemeal flour
- 5 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 dessertspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 175g (6 oz) butter, softened
- 300g (11 oz) caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 450g (16 oz) apple sauce
- 65g (2 1/2 oz) coarsely chopped walnuts
MethodPrep:25min ›Cook:1hr20min ›Ready in:1hr45min
- Preheat oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Place sultanas in a small saucepan and cover with boiling water. Soak for 5 minutes, then drain. Grease and flour a 23cm tube cake tin.
- Sift together the plain flour, wholemeal flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in the eggs, then the apple sauce. Beat in the flour mixture. Stir in sultanas and walnuts. Spread mixture evenly into prepared tube tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 80 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre of cake comes out clean. Let cool in tin for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely; chill.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(17)
Reviews in English (15)
I made this for a New Year's dinner party - it looked pretty made in a bundt pan , unmolded and dusted with powdered sugar. I also made a raspberry sauce and whipped cream to serve with it. This dessert is not very sweet - something I like but may disappoint some. You could compensate by making the raspberry sauce and/or the whipped cream sweeter than you normally would.-02 Jan 2002
This was suprisingly good. I baked this in an 11x7 snowflake cake pan. It took close to 1 1/2 hours to cook through. The cake is sticky to the touch so be careful when transferring to a cake pan. I served with on Christmas with Brandy Butter found on this site.-04 Jan 2004